PR & Communications Manager
Koala is a high growth ecommerce company from Australia, and our mission is: Better furniture experiences, designed with the World in mind. Combining customer-centric products, a world-class technology and fulfillment platform, incredible customer service and social good; we are changing the way people buy and enjoy furniture to create happier, healthier habitats.
In just 5+ years in Japan we have achieved significant growth, leading to positive media coverage including King’s Brunch on TBS, Tech Crunch, NewsPicks, DIAMOND online, and Nikkei amongst others. Sleep as a category is very much under-utilized and has high potential in this country, and Koala has positioned itself as a future leader of quality sleep and home furnishing products in both Japan, Australia, and recently Korea and the USA too! We are bringing a modern, data-driven approach to revolutionize an ageing industry.
Why we have this role @ Koala
As a Marketing Generalist, you will work with a team of marketing professionals at the top of their fields. You will support our essential marketing functions across marketing channels and play a crucial role in helping the business achieve its growth targets. Play an important role to support product and brand activity. At Koala, your role will be to support the entire Sales and Marketing activities to execute those strategies to bring Koala to the next level.
What key responsibilities does this role have @ Koala?
- Create PR & Communication strategies for new products and promotions
- Work with PR agency, lead ideation & execution of PR initiatives that will drive earned media or viral attention
- Develop PR plan and calendar monthly, quarterly in line with marketing strategy
- Work with other Marketing functions (Creative, Social Media and Commercial Marketing) to align brand voice, and communicate this across earned media channels
- Content production of PR-related materials such as press releases, PR event production, campaigns etc
- Tap into a broad network of journalists & TV networks to drive earned media
- Work with an agency, create and manage influencer campaign that will drive site traffic and conversion
- Support to supervise metric driven reporting of PR activity
- Bring a revenue & growth-oriented mindset to PR
- 5+ years experience working within a communications agency or in-house consumer brand
- Experience and enjoyment working in fast-paced global start-up business environment
- Prior contacts with local journalists and media preferred
- Experience working within social media/ influencer marketing/ PR preferrable
- Demonstrable knowledge showing use of data/how data informs PR
- Interest in growth or performance marketing, and how these interact with PR is a bonus
- Japanese native level and English business level is required
Treehouse Perks and Privileges…
Koala is only as good as its employees are happy - and we’re one happy international bilingual bunch! We offer our teams hybrid flexible working options and the freedom and autonomy to do their best work in a way that works for them. Whether that’s working your own version of 9-6, working from home in your pajamas from time to time or hanging out at our Treehouse (this is what we call our office digs) in Omotesando, or enjoying the 25+ days annual leave you decide whatever helps you find your flow! The Treehouse has plenty of social activities to get involved with and help you get to know your fellow Koalas better as well as free Koala products for all employees - who better to shout from the tree tops how awesome our products are, right?! We also recognise that we can’t grow as a brand unless we support the growth of our teams so this is a strong focus for us. Lastly and importantly our employee experience respects and embraces all families, formed, found and evolving. You’ll have access to our Employee Assistance Program, which includes unlimited sessions for financial, work, relationship, family or wellbeing support. All in all, the Koala Kommunity is a great place to hang out in and belong to!
Koalities we look for…
At Koala, we do things a little differently and we don’t shy away from the fact that we expect a lot from our employees! We want you to challenge expectations, always look to make a difference and give us something different from the norm. We want people that bring great energy, that have a long-game focus and are always curious to find new angles and approaches to the way we work. We're a team full of entrepreneurial spirit and have a relentless focus on 'what's next' but while always reviewing 'what's been done' and learning, growing and adapting. We're confident, but NEVER arrogant and super adaptable. Honesty and selflessness drive everything we do, as well as a total focus on exceeding our customers’ expectations. So if you feel like this could be you... what are you waiting for? Drop us a line, and let's see what you've got! ;)
There’s no such thing as a ‘perfect’ candidate, Koala is a place where everyone has opportunity. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day. We’re an equal opportunity employer, and recognize that a diverse workforce is crucial to our success as a business.