Koala is a high growth ecommerce company from Australia, and our mission is: Better furniture experiences, designed with the World in mind. Combining customer-centric products, a world-class technology and fulfillment platform, incredible customer service and social good; we are changing the way people buy and enjoy furniture to create happier, healthier habitats.
In just 5+ years in Japan we have achieved significant growth, leading to positive media coverage including King’s Brunch on TBS, Tech Crunch, NewsPicks, DIAMOND online, and Nikkei amongst others. Sleep as a category is very much under-utilized and has high potential in this country, and Koala has positioned itself as a future leader of quality sleep and home furnishing products in both Japan, Australia, and recently Korea and the USA too! We are bringing a modern, data-driven approach to revolutionize an ageing industry.
Why we have this role @ Koala
Due to current and projected growth in our Japanese market, Koala are looking to boost our fast-paced finance function with a strong Accountant. Reporting to the Senior Financial Accountant for Japan/Korea this role will assist with the preparation and delivery of accurate and timely financial reporting and perform a multi-functional role across the varied accounting functions.
What key responsibilities does this role have @ Koala?
Involvement in all aspects of the accounting and financial management of the Japan and Korea markets, including but not limited to:
- Month-end responsibilities including bank reconciliations, reconciling payment gateways, posting prepayments and accruals, and preparation of balance sheet reconciliations
- Preparation of department variance reports on a monthly basis
- Assistance in annual audit, financial statement preparation and company tax compliance lodgements
- Proactively identify opportunities to streamline and/or automate processes and participate in the implementation of process improvement projects
- Assistance with process documentation
- Ad hoc reporting and analysis tasks as required
- Participate in the budgeting and forecasting processes
- 3+ years’ experience in a previous financial accounting role with a strong understanding of general ledger functions, month-end/year-end close process, tax compliance, audit, budgeting and forecasting etc
- First movers from Big 4/Mid Tier Audit background considered
- Strong technical accounting knowledge
- Ability to work autonomously and assist with the key deliverables
- Passionate about the details and focused on accuracy
- Successful experience in setting and meeting challenging deadlines under pressure
- A strong team player who contributes to an environment that embraces constant change and innovation
- Experience with Netsuite is a bonus
- Fluent Japanese a must, good English communication skills highly desirable
Treehouse Perks and Privileges…
Koala is only as good as its employees are happy - and we’re one happy international bilingual bunch! We offer our teams hybrid flexible working options and the freedom and autonomy to do their best work in a way that works for them. Whether that’s working your own version of 9-6, working from home in your pajamas from time to time or hanging out at our Treehouse (this is what we call our office digs) in Omotesando, or enjoying the 25+ days annual leave you decide whatever helps you find your flow! The Treehouse has plenty of social activities to get involved with and help you get to know your fellow Koalas better as well as free Koala products for all employees - who better to shout from the tree tops how awesome our products are, right?! We also recognise that we can’t grow as a brand unless we support the growth of our teams so this is a strong focus for us. Lastly and importantly our employee experience respects and embraces all families, formed, found and evolving. You’ll have access to our Employee Assistance Program, which includes unlimited sessions for financial, work, relationship, family or wellbeing support. All in all, the Koala Kommunity is a great place to hang out in and belong to!
Koalities we look for…
At Koala, we do things a little differently and we don’t shy away from the fact that we expect a lot from our employees! We want you to challenge expectations, always look to make a difference and give us something different from the norm. We want people that bring great energy, that have a long-game focus and are always curious to find new angles and approaches to the way we work. We're a team full of entrepreneurial spirit and have a relentless focus on 'what's next' but while always reviewing 'what's been done' and learning, growing and adapting. We're confident, but NEVER arrogant and super adaptable. Honesty and selflessness drive everything we do, as well as a total focus on exceeding our customers’ expectations. So if you feel like this could be you... what are you waiting for? Drop us a line, and let's see what you've got! ;)
There’s no such thing as a ‘perfect’ candidate, Koala is a place where everyone has opportunity. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day. We’re an equal opportunity employer, and recognize that a diverse workforce is crucial to our success as a business.