Senior Cloud Engineer
Who are we?
Launching in New Zealand in 2017, we’re now a global company with offices in Auckland, Sydney and London.
With hundreds of thousands of active customers using Laybuy every day, we’re one of New Zealand’s leading BNPL providers and a top three provider in the UK.
The secret to our success has been putting our customers at the heart of everything we do. That means an unwavering commitment to responsible lending and the development of new products and services that make our customers' lives easier and that can help our merchant partners grow.
But we are just getting started! Our talented and ambitious team is focused on challenging the status quo and being at the forefront of the payments revolution that is now underway.
That means we’re fast-moving, collaborative and inclusive. Our teams need to work together closely to come up with new ideas, overcome challenges and pivot when we need to because we know that you will always achieve more by working together as one.
We also embrace the benefits that hybrid and flexible working bring. We know everyone is different, which is why we encourage our people to do what works best for them. The wellbeing of our people matters to us and you’ll see this in all areas of the experiences we create.
About the role
Our nascent Cloud Platform team is looking for a cloud engineering expert to join the small but powerful driving force behind infrastructure and operations at Laybuy. We have a lot of challenges still ahead of us as we work to mature and enhance our cloud infrastructure and software delivery machine.
It will require a high level of collaboration with the wider Engineering team to design, build and maintain scalable and resilient systems. This includes being a champion of our Center of Excellence across software delivery, observability, and automation, as well as troubleshooting incidents and optimising system performance and efficiency.
The team also leads the way in improving engineering productivity and development safety through the establishment of guardrails, self-service configuration, and reusable patterns and resources. We fundamentally believe the best systems and infrastructure are also the easiest to use.
- 5+ years experience working in Cloud Engineering or Site Reliability Engineering.
- Very strong experience with AWS (VPC, EC2, RDS, S3, IAM, ELB, Lambda, Organizations).
- Very strong experience with Docker & Kubernetes (EKS, Cluster/Pod Autoscaler, Ingress, CNI, CSI).
- Strong experience with Infrastructure as Code (Pulumi, Terraform).
- Strong experience with Git, GitHub, and modern software development and delivery.
- Strong experience with web development, web architecture, and web authentication.
- Strong understanding of Linux environments, systems, and automation.
- Experience managing databases and caches (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Redis).
- Experience with unified observability tooling, ideally Datadog.
- Knowledge of common cloud and software security pitfalls and mitigation techniques.
- Very comfortable leading production response, troubleshooting, and being on-call.
- Very comfortable leading by example, collaborating and contributing across Engineering.
- If you’ve got experience in financial technology and/or retail that would be a bonus!
- Are resilient, self motivated, driven by challenges, open to feedback, love to learn + flexible to change.
- Our Company Values, Authentic, Responsible, Empathetic, Intuitive, Quirky and Bold, resonate with you.
💜🌈 At Laybuy, we are committed to achieving an inclusive and diverse workplace and welcome
applications from all backgrounds.
Benefits of working for us
- Paid Health Insurance with Southern Cross
- Paid day off on your Birthday - we’d rather you spend the day relaxing & celebrating
- Enhanced parental leave
- Genuine opportunities to grow your career with us
- Lots of opportunities to connect, celebrate & have fun
- Laybuy HQ is based in the B:HIVE, a purpose built co-working space, weekly Friday drinks, social events, a resident-only gym, free weekly yoga, a massage chair & a ping pong table!
- You’ll be part of a global, diverse and fun team in a fast paced company where you can make your mark
If you've got what it takes and want to join our high performing, fun and diverse team. Click 'apply' today!
You must be eligible to work in New Zealand to be considered for this position. No recruitment agencies thank you
Laybuy undertakes pre-employment checks which may include criminal history, credit and AML checks. Should your application be successful, you understand that Laybuy will request pre-employment checks relevant to the role.