Senior Platform Engineer
Job Title: Senior Platform Engineer
Location: Farnborough, Portsmouth, Malvern, Bristol,
Package: Competitive Salary + Benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent or Fixed Term Contract
Role ID: SF16397
Be part of the QinetiQ journey. Join us as a Platform engineer at our Farnborough site where you will be responsible for delivering planned or requested activities, which will depend on the requirements of the individual task in order to effectively deliver high quality services to our customers.
As a member of the UK Shared Services team, provide support and subject matter expertise to the IT Services function.
Day to day you will be responsible for:
• Support the Head of UK IT Services and the UK Shared Services function in the delivery of IT platform and domain services to QinetiQ across physical, virtual and cloud based technologies.
• Act as the primary technical escalation for systems/services within your remit ensuring obsolescence is reviewed and support the development of suitable roadmaps. This includes the development and maintenance of standards in respect of platform related servicesProvide new perspectives and challenge existing solutions for new tasks.
• Act as a source of technical knowledge and expertise for other areas of IT Services mentoring others as appropriate.
• Act as an primary escalation point on IT incidents and problems if required.
• Lead elements of the development new technologies and enhancements to existing systems.
This is a full-time post, 37-hours per week, with a Hybrid working arrangement.
Essential experience of the Senior Platform Engineer
• Highly IT literate, with an in-depth, expert knowledge of IT platform technologies.
• Detailed knowledge of IT service delivery methodologies.
• Ability to act as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in own domain.
• Extensive knowledge across Microsoft Server 2019/2022 (Windows 10/11 advantageous) including cloud hosted examples.
• Extensive experience across the administration of client operating systems.
• Extensive knowledge of Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, GPO and other domain service functions including those hosted in cloud environments.
• Extensive understanding of security and vulnerability management across relevant technologies.
Qualifications for the Senior Platform Engineer
• A Technical Degree (i.e. within a Computer Science, Math’s, Engineering or equivalent field),and/or 5+ years relevant technical experience
• Professional accreditation from relevant technology vendors or equivalent experience. (Microsoft Certified, RHCE, VCP etc.)
Please note that all applicants must be eligible for SC clearance as a minimum.
Applicants who already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are subject to restrictions on access to information, which mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may affect the roles that you can be employed in. UKSV National Security Vetting Solution: guidance for applicants - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
• Generous holiday allowance
• Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance
• Matched contribution pension scheme, with life assurance
• Employee discount portal: Personal Accident Insurance, Travel Insurance, Restaurants, Cinema Tickets and much more
• Holiday Trading is a benefit that allows most employees to buy up to 5 days’ additional leave
• We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant
• Payroll Giving and Volunteering - helping charities and local community
Why join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation and having the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture here.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You’ll receive a highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what’s happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, adaptive and flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.
Please note that many roles in QinetiQ are subject to national security vetting. Applicants that already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are also subject to restrictions on access to information that mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may have an effect on the roles that you can be employed in.