Senior Composite Design Engineer
Job title: Senior Composite Design Engineer
Location: Ashford, Kent
Company: QinetiQ Target Systems
Hours: 37 hour per weeks, flexible hybrid working
About the role
We are currently recruiting a Senior Composite Design Engineer to join QinetiQ Target Systems (QTS) within our Engineering Team. QTS is a wholly owned subsidiary of QinetiQ Group PLC specialising in the design and manufacture of a range of state of the art Unmanned Aerial and Surface Target systems including the world leading Banshee target.
QTS targets are used to enable realistic weapons test and evaluation and operator training in over 40 countries worldwide with QTS providing a complete managed service in over 15 of these countries.
What will I be doing?
Reporting to the Mechanical Engineering Manager you will provide expertise and leadership in developing, designing and testing the necessary mechanical products and systems per requirements and specification. Concentrating on our composite parts, their design analysis and testing.
Duties will include:
- Provide expertise in the design, development and testing of mechanical components, specialising in composite components.
- Perform mechanical component development and integration; use Computer-aided-Design (CAD) concepts and applicable methods and procedures.
- Participate and direct engineering activities to define product requirements, create designs, and perform simulation testing and validation of final hardware components.
- Solve problems within the bounds of existing procedures; analyse information and standard practices to make judgements.
- Hands on with mechanical development and integration assignments.
- Conducts value analysis during the product design phase while optimising development costs.
- Solve technical problems and improves existing designs.
- Able to take initiative, prioritise and complete work within given timeframes.
- Supervise other members in the team to deliver small projects and packages of work and act as line manager to half the Mechanical Engineering team.
- Delegate for the Mechanical Engineering Manager when absent as appropriate
What do I need?
You will have a post-secondary degree or equivalent experience in Engineering and proven experience in composite design, development and analysis.
You’ll have considerable relevant experience and proven experience at operating at a senior level delivering projects and packages of work.
We also ask that you have:
- strong knowledge of CAD preferably Solid works
- knowledge of the following areas:
- Composite Products design and analysis.
- Additive Manufacturing
- Finite Element Analysis
- Aeronautical design and aerodynamics
- the ability to manage small to medium projects delivering results to time and cost utilising other team members when needed
- good knowledge and ability to apply core concepts of engineering
- effective interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills to drive tasks to completion
It would be an advantage if you have:
- experience of managing small teams to deliver packages of work
- Knowledge of:
- Welded Structures
- Sheet Metal
- Machined Components
Please note that all applicants must be eligible for SC clearance: UKSV National Security Vetting Solution: guidance for applicants - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
What else do I need to know?
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of exciting defence-based projects, with vast career progression across a global organisation, in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits.
You’ll receive a competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive, as we constantly review what’s happening in the market.
The range of benefits we offer include adaptive and flexible / hybrid working, ample holiday entitlements, generous employer pension contributions, enhanced Maternity and Paternity Pay, and the ability to purchase discounted Health Cash Plans, Private Medical Insurance, and Dental Insurance, plus much more.