Software Test Engineer
Job Title: Software Test Engineer
Location: Portsmouth + Adaptive Working Arrangement
Package: Highly Competitive Salary + Benefits Package
Role Type: Permanent
Role ID: SF16458
Be part of the QinetiQ journey. Join us as a Software Test Engineer at our Portsmouth site where you will have the opportunity to work with cutting-edge technology and many of the industry’s most brilliant minds.
As a Software Test Engineer you’ll have a role that is out of the ordinary, you will join our team in PTP to support our software and networks activities. As a Software Test Engineer, you will work closely with developers to identify bugs, plan, write and run tests and generate reports. This is an excellent opportunity for an engineer to contribute to our cutting edge defence technologies and gain valuable experience in the defence sector.
Day-to-day, you will:
- You will define test methods and develop test data to support testing of software, sub-systems and systems.
- You will take ownership of customer requirements and be proactive in capturing and translating them into system based requirements.
- You will log, update and manage all problem reports and change requests via CM or bug tracking tools.
- You will take ownership of complex software problem reports to completion, where other teams’ input is required to resolve whether this is internal or external to QinetiQ.
- You will support customers in the use of IT equipment by providing necessary training and advice, in support of user acceptance or software deployments.
- You will generate test metrics for inclusion within the reporting, advising on number of defects and the test status.
Essential experience of the Software Test Engineer:
- Understanding of software engineering principles
- Manual Software Testing Experience
- Test plan creation
- Awareness of Functional and Non-Functional requirements
Qualifications for the Software Test Engineer:
Bachelor’s degree or nationally recognised qualifications in IT, in a relevant engineering discipline
Please note that all applicants must be eligible for SC clearance, as a minimum.
- Adaptive and flexible working
- Generous holiday allowance
- Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance
- Matched contribution pension scheme, with life assurance
- Employee discount portal: Personal Accident Insurance, Travel Insurance, Restaurants, Cinema Tickets and much more.
- Holiday Trading is a benefit that allows most employees to buy up to 5 days’ additional leave.
- We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant.
- Payroll Giving and Volunteering - helping charities and local community.
Our volunteering programme enables our people to use their professional skills to make a positive difference in our local communities, for example STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) ambassador days in schools. We support a number of charities that are important to our people, including those which help the defence community.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please contact your regional recruiting team in strictest confidence. We’re committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone’s free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
Why Join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation and having the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an= diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Visit our website to read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture.
As a company of thousands of dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.
Please note that many roles in QinetiQ are subject to national security vetting. Applicants who already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are also subject to restrictions on access to information, which mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may affect the roles that you can be employed in.